Who doesn’t love a good night’s sleep? Not only is it essential for your mind and body after a long day, but did you know a restful sleep also helps your skin revitalise?
Yes, a good night’s sleep offers significant skincare benefits. As you sleep, your body goes through various restorative processes crucial for maintaining healthy skin:
- Cellular Repair and Regeneration – During deep sleep, your body increases the production of growth hormones. This helps regenerate and repair cells from the damage caused by environmental factors like UV rays and pollution.
- Collagen Production – Collagen is a protein that provides structure and elasticity to your skin. Although as you age, Collagen production reduces, during sleep, your body boosts production, which can help in preventing wrinkles and maintaining a youthful appearance.
- Blood Flow – Quality sleep improves blood circulation, ensuring that essential nutrients and oxygen are delivered to your skin cells. This enhanced circulation contributes to a healthy complexion and a natural glow.
- Reduces Inflammation – Lack of sleep can lead to increased inflammation in the body, which can manifest as skin redness and puffiness. Adequate sleep helps regulate inflammation, resulting in calmer and less irritated skin.
- Moisture Balance – While you sleep, your body’s hydration balance is maintained, and the skin’s barrier function is enhanced, preventing excess water loss and keeping your skin adequately moisturised.
- Dark Circles and Puffiness – Sufficient sleep can help reduce the appearance of under-eye dark circles and puffiness. Poor sleep can cause blood vessels to dilate, leading to dark circles and fluid retention, resulting in puffiness.
- Stress – Lack of sleep can contribute to increased stress levels, which can trigger skin conditions like acne and eczema. Sufficient sleep helps manage your stress levels, promoting a healthier complexion.
- Enhanced Skincare Product Absorption – Your skin’s barrier function is more receptive during sleep, making it the optimal time to apply certain skincare products, allowing them to be absorbed more effectively.
We recommend Plump & Firm Moisturiser as an ideal night cream to put on just before bed to allow maximum absorption as you sleep.
To maximise the skincare benefits of a good night’s sleep, aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Establishing a consistent sleep schedule, creating a comfortable sleep environment, and practising relaxation techniques before bed can all contribute to improving your sleep quality and, in turn, enhancing your skin’s health and appearance.
And remember, skincare is a holistic process that involves a great combination of external products and also internal factors such as nutrition, hydration, and a good night’s sleep.