From a young age, we’re taught that washing our faces is a key part of our daily routine, but why is cleansing so important and what makes a good cleanser?
Why is a good cleanse important to your skin?
Facial skin gets exposed to a lot in the average day – the elements, pollution, many different products and anything that’s on our hands as we touch our own faces throughout the day. All of this can lead to pores getting clogged with dirt and excess sebum, so cleansing is vital to keep pores clean and help prevent breakouts.
So far, so obvious, but did you know?
- A thorough cleanse will assist your skin in its natural exfoliation process, without which it would become dull with the build-up of dead skin cells.
- Cleansing helps manage the PH levels of the skin, enabling sufficient water and product retention, and keeping it hydrated.
- Cleansing helps prep your face for your skincare or treatment and ensures it works properly.
What makes a good cleanser?
If you’re using wipes on your face and thinking that at least it’s better than sleeping in your make-up (heaven forbid), we’re sorry to say that it’s not! Wipes don’t clean your face effectively and contain drying alcohols and sensitising fragrances – your face (and the environment) deserve better.
As with everything else in life, you’re looking for a balance – in this case, the balance between a cleanser that is effective enough to get skin properly clean but without stripping or irritating it. It can help to choose a cleanser that’s a good match for your skin type and needs:
- If you have dry skin, it’s best to avoid cleansers with high alcohol content – you might find a cream or balm cleanser more comfortable on your skin.
- For sensitive skin, look for a cleanser free from heavy fragrance or additives. Those with specific allergies may find natural cleansers without synthetic ingredients less irritating.
- If you wear a lot of make-up, you’ll need a cleanser that’s specifically designed to break it down. You could consider double cleansing, a two-step process where you cleanse once to remove makeup residue and again to get your skin really clean.